Peter was born and raised in Ann Arbor and deeply values his ties to the local community. In 2018, Peter merged his Ann Arbor law firm, The Law Offices of Peter C. Clark, PLC, into Ferguson Widmayer & Clark PC where he now operates as a Principal/Shareholder. Peter practices in the areas of estate planning (to include high-value taxable estates), trust and estate administration, business law, and real estate law. Peter also devotes a large amount of time to special needs estate planning, both in the representation of families with members who have special needs and also through educating other professionals involved in special needs services. Peter is a highly skilled and trusted counselor who chose his areas of practice based on his love for building relationships with clients, helping to simplify complicated situations, and providing clients with peace of mind.
Prior to entering private practice in 2015, Peter was a commissioned officer/attorney in the United States Army Judge Advocate General Corps (JAG Corps). As an active duty JAG attorney, Peter served in a multitude of roles to include Chief of Legal Client Services-Fort Bliss, TX, Senior Trial Counsel-Fort Bliss, Military Magistrate- Fort Bliss, Special Assistant United States Attorney- Western District of Texas, El Paso, and the sole active duty JAG attorney for the State of Michigan. Peter has also worked in the Office of General Counsel of the Army- Pentagon, the United States Attorney’s Office- Detroit, and the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office- Detroit. Before becoming an officer in the Army and an attorney, Peter owned a multifaceted music business in downtown Ann Arbor that included a retail store, recording studios, a recording label, and event management.
In addition to practicing law in Ann Arbor, Peter enjoys being involved in numerous local organizations. He serves as Co-Chair of the Washtenaw County Bar Association’s Solo and Small Firm section and is a member of the Estate Planning, Business, and Real Estate sections. Peter is also heavily involved in several local charitable organizations to include serving as a Director for Ann Arbor’s Community Action Network (a large non-profit organization operating multiple community centers in Ann Arbor) and membership in Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation’s Network of Professional Advisors.
Peter lives in Ann Arbor with his wife Leah, a special education teacher, and their two daughters. When not practicing law or spending time with family, Peter indulges in his love for art and music.
- The Forgotten Half of Your Law Practice: Tips for Leading and Managing People, Res Ipsa Loquitur Journal, November/December 2017 Issue, Volume 46, Number 6.
Legal Honors and Awards
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Estate Planning and Probate Attorney, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- US Army Meritorious Service Medal, 2015, for outstanding service as Command Judge Advocate, TACOM/Detroit Arsenal
- US Army Meritorious Service Medal, 2014, for outstanding service as a JAG Attorney, Fort Bliss, TX.
- Federal Executive Association of El Paso, Excellence in Public Service Award, 2013, for work as lead prosecutor in a major federal/military conspiracy case in West Texas.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- Probate and Estate Planning Section
- Washtenaw County Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Solo/Small Firm Section
- Probate and Estate Planning Section
- Real Estate Section
- Business Section
Areas of Practice
- Trust and Estate Planning
- Trust and Estate Administration
- Probate Litigation
- Special Needs Estate Planning
- Business Law
- Guardianships and Conservatorships
- Real Estate Law
- Michigan, 2010
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit
J.D., cum laude, 2010.
- University of Michigan, Dearborn
B.A. Political Science, High Honors, 2007.
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Army ROTC/Military Science, Distinguished Military Graduate, 2007.